Updated · Jun 08, 2022
Best for: Non-techies
What Is WebStarts?
WebStarts is a website builder and hosting service for developing fully functional websites. WebStarts users can create blogs, e-commerce websites, portfolios, and much more.
An entrepreneur named Adam Barger launched WebStarts in 2007 to help individuals and businesses create websites despite lacking technical expertise. The company has come a long way, with millions of websites built on its platform. WebStarts is based in Florida, USA.
We conducted extensive research and product testing to give you a detailed, unbiased WebStarts review.
WebStarts offers many features to help users build and host functional websites with little or no programming work. They include:
WebStarts Web Builder
The web builder is WebStarts’ primary feature. It lets users create beautiful websites with little technical work. You may create a blog, an online store, or any other type of website. WebStarts makes it all easy with pre-built templates. You can also buy a custom domain name to make your site look more professional. Afterward, WebStarts offers search engine optimization (SEO) tools to help you get found on search engines like Google and Bing.
The platform offers a drag-and-drop website builder. You can easily add photos, text, videos, and other elements to exactly where you’d like to place them.
Creating a website on WebStarts is pretty straightforward. First, choose a template and customize it using the drag-and-drop editor. You can choose from dozens of templates for different use cases. Then, publish your website either with a WebStarts subdomain or a custom one. After posting your website, you can utilize WebStarts’ SEO tools to drive traffic to your website.
WebStarts is primarily cloud-based, so there’s no need to download any apps to use it.
WebStarts offers a separate web-building tool for mobile phones dubbed WebStarts AI. The platform adopts artificial intelligence to help users automatically create websites.
Building a website through WebStarts’ AI-assisted tool is a relatively simple, step-by-step process. First, you create an account through email or Facebook Connect. Then, the tool prompts you to upload some photos to place on your website. You can upload directly from your mobile phone gallery.
Secondly, you select your website’s category. WebStarts’ AI-assisted builder then provides a matching template. The software automatically generates your site from the pre-built template and places your images in it. Afterward, you can customize it to match your tastes straight from your mobile phone.
WebStarts lets users assign custom domain names to their websites. Free WebStarts users can host their site on a WebStarts subdomain, but a custom one looks far more professional. Compare hosting your website at “myblog.webstarts.com” to “myblog.com.” The latter is easier to remember and more polished.
You can buy a new custom domain for your WebStarts website or add an existing one you own. The process of adding a new domain is as follows:
- Click the Add Domain button in your account dashboard or the page editor.
- Select Register A New Domain Name.
- Enter your desired domain name and extension and click the Search button.
- If the one you want is available, you can click the Continue button to proceed.
- Lastly, click the Confirm Registration button and complete the domain name registration.
Your new domain should start resolving to your website within a few minutes.
Transferring a domain you already own to WebStarts has its distinct steps:
- Click the Domains tab in your WebStarts account dashboard.
- Type the domain you want to transfer and click Transfer to WebStarts to initiate it.
- After initiating, WebStarts would send a transfer authorization email to the email address holding the domain name.
- When you receive the Transfer Authorization email, open it up and approve it. You’ll need the transfer authorization code from your domain registrar to complete it.
Note that all domain registrars have a compulsory 60-day lock-in period before authorizing a transfer. Once confirmed, a transfer to your WebStarts account usually takes 7 to 10 days.
You can access WebStarts E-Commerce through a dedicated URL. Its features include coupon codes, custom shipping, credit card payments, inventory management, etc.
- Coupon codes - You can create custom coupon codes for your online store. Many customers love clipping coupons, and it’ll be a disservice if you don’t give them what they want.
- Custom Shipping - You can also define your custom shipping rules. For example, you can choose to charge for shipping by weight or a flat rate. You can also create separate tax rules for different regions.
- Credit/Debit Cards - WebStarts integrates with various payment gateways, so you can accept payments. This is the most critical feature for any WebStarts store.
- Digital Products - The platform lets you sell digital products such as e-books, videos, and software.
- Email Marketing - WebStarts integrates with a suite of email marketing tools to help you reach your customers. Email is a useful marketing medium for every online store. You can contact customers with abandoned carts or inform them about an upcoming sale.
- Inventory Management - WebStarts lets you display stock information on your online store and notifies you when you’re running out of a product.
- Custom Email Receipts - You can also create custom, personalized receipts for your customers.
- Multiple Currencies - You can display products in various currencies to provide a smoother experience for customers from different regions.
- Order Tracking - You can enable your customers to log in and check their order status and receive tracking confirmations through email.
WebStarts lets you create custom emails with your domain name. Such emails make you look professional when interacting with other individuals or businesses.
The first step to activating WebStarts mail is creating a custom email address matching your domain name. The steps to do that are as follows:
- Click the Add Domain button on your WebStarts account dashboard to register a new domain or add an existing one. You can skip this step if you’ve already linked a domain to your WebStarts account.
- Click the Business Emails panel at the bottom of your WebStarts dashboard. Click the Add Email Box button to create a new custom email address.
- Enter your full name, the username for the new email, and the domain extension (if you have more than one). Choose a password and click on the Submit button. At this point, you’ve successfully created an email.
- Head to the WebStarts email client and log in to your newly created account. The email should be functional right away.
WebStarts also provides additional features. You can set up an HTML email signature or forward your emails to another address. Plus, you can import contacts from Outlook or Apple Mail and many more.
Your WebStarts email client works like any other email provider. It just has a different interface that you should get familiar with relatively quickly.
WebStarts SEO Tools
Search engine optimization is essential for every website owner. No matter how good your website is, it’s useless if people can’t find it. The main way to resolve this is by making your website visible to search engines.
For this purpose, WebStarts offers a suite of SEO tools.
The first thing you need to do is add keywords and a site description to your website’s meta tags. WebStarts lets you easily add meta descriptions. Search engines like Google and Bing use web crawling bots that only understand specific commands and languages. If you don’t optimize your website for them, they’ll hardly find and index it.
You should add relevant keywords to your website. For example, a site focused on industrial design should have related keywords like 3D modeling, assembly line, prototyping, etc. Keywords are what people in that field often search for, so including them on your website should attract relevant customers.
Ensure not to repeat a keyword too many times. A rule of thumb is listing the same word three times at max. Also, use clear and concise descriptions.
One of the most useful WebStarts SEO tools is the sitemap. The WebStarts website builder lets you upload sitemaps for your website to help search engines index them easily. A sitemap is a file that includes the list of all pages of a website within a domain. It’s where you provide information about your pages and the relationships between them. Search engines like Google use sitemaps to crawl your site more effectively.
You’ll find a lot of free online tools to generate sitemaps for your domain. XML-Sitemaps.com is a good example. Every sitemap must end in a .XML extension. Uploading it to your WebStarts site requires just a few steps:
- Login to your WebStarts account and head to the dashboard.
- Click the Settings icon at the bottom right.
- Click the Upload button next to the Sitemap option. You must name the sitemap for your WebStarts website sitemap.xml, or it won’t work.
After uploading it, you should see a confirmation email. Then, you’re good to go.
WebStarts also lets you include ALT tags on your images. An ALT tag represents a text description that appears in place of your image. You’ll see that text if an image fails to load on a user’s screen. ALT tags allow search engines to crawl and index your images. They also help screen-reading tools describe images to visually impaired users.
WebStarts provides a collection of pre-built, modern themes every user can adopt. In all, there are over 100 WebStarts templates you can choose from. You can pick any one of them and apply a few edits to create a good-looking website. That’s a lot better than building your template from scratch, especially if you lack the technical knowledge.
WebStarts sorts its templates into various categories. They include blogs, creative arts, music, travel, portfolio, fashion, etc.
Adding forms to your website is an easy way to collect leads or enable visitors to contact you. You can also select an email address where you can collect all form data.
WebStarts offers a content delivery network (CDN) for users to host their websites across geographically distributed servers. A CDN makes your website load faster.
Ease of Use and Interface
WebStarts has a pretty clean interface. To access the platform, you need to create an account, which is pretty easy to do. It only requires basic details like your full name, email, and password. Once you sign up, WebStarts redirects you to a dashboard where you can create new sites.
The WebStarts builder offers many functionalities. However, it’s a bit clunky and difficult to use, mainly for first-time users. After dragging and dropping web elements, it’s quite complicated to customize them. The clunky user interface is a major drawback for the platform.
WebStarts offers a free package, but it has limited features. You’d need the paid packages to make the best of the website builder. The company offers two paid plans; Pro Plus and Business.
14 per month
With Pro Plus, you get social media integration, one business email, 10GB of cloud storage, and 100GB per month bandwidth. You can also use WebStarts forms but with a limit of 1,000 contacts.
WebStarts doesn’t offer a free trial period or money-back guarantee, which is a drawback compared to rivals.
You can access WebStarts support through email or phone. These channels are active Monday through Friday, 10:00 am to 6:00 pm EST.
WebStarts vs Wix
Wix is a popular website builder and hosting service and one of the most popular WebStarts alternatives. Let’s check out the similarities and differences between them.
WebStarts offers only monthly plans, while Wix also has an annual option. Both platforms have free versions. Wix provides a trial period, but WebStarts doesn’t. Likewise, Wix offers a 14-day money-back guarantee, which WebStarts lacks.
The WebStarts free plan offers similar functionalities to Wix’s.
Wix’s paid options range from $4.50 to $24.50 per month, while WebStarts charges $14-$23 monthly. Wix is better than WebStarts in pricing terms.
Wix offers a better variety of templates than WebStarts. The former has 800+ pre-built templates, compared to the latter’s 100+. Hence, you’re more likely to find a template that fits you on Wix than WebStarts.
WebStarts and Wix offer tools for online store building. Both platforms have similar functionalities, including payment gateways, email marketing, multiple currencies, inventory management, etc. However, Wix integrates with more third-party tools than WebStarts and supports more payment gateways.
Both Wix and WebStarts offer mobile apps for users to create and manage websites on the go. However, a major difference is that the WebStarts app includes artificial intelligence tools to make website set up a seamless process.
Wix’s website builder is easier to use and offers more functionalities than WebStarts. For example, Wix offers a dedicated analytics tool for users to monitor and gather visitor statistics about their website.
WebStarts Reviews – Verdict
WebStarts is a convenient website building and hosting platform. It’s a feature-packed solution that has you covered every step of the way – from website creation to email marketing and search engine optimization.
However, it also has its drawbacks. Its pricing structure could benefit from a bit more flexibility, and the convoluted interface will probably take some time getting used to.
Hopefully, our WebStarts review was comprehensive enough to help you make an informed decision.
Is WebStarts really free?
WebStarts is freemium rather than free. There’s a free plan but with limited features. You need a paid one to access all the platform’s features.
How much does WebStarts cost?
WebStarts offers two paid plans: Pro Plus ($14 monthly) and Business ($23 monthly).
Is WebStarts any good?
Yes, it’s a suitable platform for creating simple websites without much technical work. However, some WebStarts reviews point out that its features could be a bit limited compared to what you’ll find in similarly priced competitors.
Techjury.net's manager. Deyan has been fascinated by technology his whole life. From the first Tetris game all the way to Falcon Heavy. Working for TechJury is like a dream come true, combining both his passions – writing and technology. In his free time (which is pretty scarce, thanks to his three kids), Deyan enjoys traveling and exploring new places. Always with a few chargers and a couple of gadgets in the backpack. He makes mean dizzying Island Paradise cocktails too.
Latest from Author
Your email address will not be published.